Away from the bustle of the metropolis, 115km along the coast from Colombo, is Galle which is visited by
most of the tourists. Once an outpost of the Portuguese invaders and later of tourists Once an outpost of the Portuguese invaders and later of the Dutch, it still retains the original fortification in a perfect state of preservation massive old structures denote an atmosphere of the past Portuguese and Dutch era when the Sri Lanka in some parts were held in bondage. A butterfly bridge spans the canal constructed during the Dutch period. This bridge shows been engineering skill.
Famous all over the world due to Galle Dutch fort statue facing the Indian Ocean is one of the UNESCO heritage site. The fort was first built by Portuguese in 1588 before being extensively fortified by the Dutch in the middle of 1600. Actually Galle was considered as the place where Portuguese first arrived to Sri Lanka in 1550.The famous invader ‘Lorenzo de Almeida’ was able to make a close connection with the Sri Lankan king Dharmaparakramabahu and got his blessing to build a camp, which was done to ensure the safety of Sri Lanka, but ultimately This place become a prison for the local Sinhalese community who were against the cruel Portuguese rulers. There are two main entrances to the Galle Dutch fort. If you are coming from the Galle harbor side you will see the two symbols on the top the main gate logo contain the wording ‘Dieu at mon droit,’ the motto of the British monarch in England. The inside wall contains the Dutch VOC symbols which Symbolized the Dutch East India company. The other main entrance is located in fort of Galle cricket ground and now mostly used by the public.
Some of the best attractions for tourists in from of Churches are found in Galle. ‘Groote Klerk church’ the oldest protestant church in Sri Lanka is found in Galle. The Ditches Constructed a ‘new’ church street in the years 1754.It is known that several engraved tombstones were transfer from the old church to the new church area.
The Galle Light-House
This is Sri Lanka’s old light station dating back to 1848, But the original 24.5meters high lighthouse built by the British was located about 100 meters (330ft) from the current site, however it was destroyed by the five in 1934. The Existing 26.5 Meters lighthouse was erected here in 1939 the light station within the wall of the ancient Galle fort UNESCO world heritage site and well Known tourist attraction.
Antiquities of Galle
The Dutch Commander’s residence or Government House, queen’s house in the British era, can be seen down the street opposite the Dutch Church which leads of the old gate over the doorway of this residence is a large stone slab on which is the date 1683, and the figure of a cock inscribed. Another of the antiquities of Galle is the old main gate to the fort. The visitor should pause to study to stone lets in to the wall over the entrance and exist this gateway, which tells the story of the conquests of the old city.the lion and unicorn of the british coat of aim is found over the outside area and of the inside is a monogram of the dutch East India company a shield with the initials V.O.C chiselled upon it and two lions supporting the crest the date is 1669.